Top>Change Status of Residence

Permission to Change Status of Residence

1. Change of Status is ...

 If a foreign national who resides in Japan wants to change the activity, he/she must receive permission for change of status of residence for the new activity.

If a foreign resident in Japan intends to engage in an unauthorized activity under his/her current status of residence, and such unauthorized activity falls under other status of residence, then by getting the permission to change status of residence, the foreign resident does not have to leave Japan.

2. How to file Application

Where to submit The regional immigration office in charge of applicant's intended address or the location of organization that accepts the applicant, e.g., a company or school. Please see the list of office at the Immigration Bureau homepage.
Who may submit The applicant him/herself, an immigration lawyer who gave notice to the director of regional immigration bureau and so on.
Necessary documents They are different based on the Status of Residence which an applicant applies for.
See each status from list of Status of Residence which show the necessary documents at the end of each status page.
Standard procedures duration 1 month to 3 months after filing an application
When to submit From any changes in the applicant's resident status up until the applicant's resident status expires
Fee at the Immigration Bureau 4,000 yen for changing the status of residence (Payment must be made with revenue stamps)


Merits to Order Our Service

1. Specialist in Immigration & Nationality Laws

Immigration lawyer can do variety of jobs other than immigration related areas such as construction permission, establishing companies and so on. However, our office has been specializing exclusively in immigration and nationality laws.

Our office follows international laws as well as Japanese domestic laws for immigration and naturalization, for example, for international marriage,

2. Application based on the government internal rules

Our office makes immigration application based on not only immigration laws, but also on the government internal rules. Our office legally accessed and gathered those rules, by following the procedures of the Public Information Act.

3. To submit application for our clients

Certified immigration lawyers who completed the seminar of the Japan Immigration Lawyers Union and submitted the notice to the Immigration Bureau, can submit immigration application for clients. So, our clients do not have to go to the Immigration Bureau by themselves.

4. High Security to protect your privacy information

To provide consultation on immigration and naturalization,we need to know the privacy of our clients.

Article 12 of the Immigration Lawyer Act imposes the duty of confidentiality on immigration lawyers. Also, our office follows our privacy policy to protect our client's privacy.


Our Fees


Price including tax
Application for Permission to Change Status of Residence
1) Investor/Business Manager
2)  Long Term Resident of which case is not included in the Public Notice
3) other

1) 252,000Yen(*)
2) 252,000Yen(*)
3) 157,500Yen(*)

* If the fee is more than 100,000Yen, you could pay it as a deposit of 100,000Yen with tax and the rest of fee separately.