Top>To Extend Period of Stay

Permission to Extend Period of Stay

1. To Extend Period of Stay

  In principle, foreign residents in Japan may stay in Japan as long as their period of stay is effective. But when they want to stay longer than the period, by applying for the permission to extend period of stay, Minister of Justice can extend the period of stay.

2. How to file Application

Where to submit The regional immigration office in charge of applicant's intended address or the location of organization that accepts the applicant, e.g., a company or school. Please see the list of office at the Immigration Bureau homepage.
Who may submit The applicant him/herself, an immigration lawyer who gave notice to the director of regional immigration bureau and so on.
Necessary documents They are different based on the Status of Residence which an applicant applies for.
See each status from list of Status of Residence which show the necessary documents at the end of each status page.
Standard procedures duration Two weeks to three months after filing an application
When to submit Up until the applicant's resident status expires (If the applicant is authorized to stay in Japan for 6 month or longer, the immigration office will start accepting his/her application form two months before his/her stay period expires)
Fee at the Immigration Bureau 4,000 yen for changing the status of residence (Payment must be made with revenue stamps)


Merits to Order Our Service

1. Specialist in Immigration & Nationality Laws

Immigration lawyer can do variety of jobs other than immigration related areas such as construction permission, establishing companies and so on. However, our office has been specializing exclusively in immigration and nationality laws.

Our office follows international laws as well as Japanese domestic laws for immigration and naturalization, for example, for international marriage,

2. Application based on the government internal rules

Our office makes immigration application based on not only immigration laws, but also on the government internal rules. Our office legally accessed and gathered those rules, by following the procedures of the Public Information Act.

3. To submit application for our clients

Certified immigration lawyers who completed the seminar of the Japan Immigration Lawyers Union and submitted the notice to the Immigration Bureau, can submit immigration application for clients. So, our clients do not have to go to the Immigration Bureau by themselves.

4. High Security to protect your privacy information

To provide consultation on immigration and naturalization,we need to know the privacy of our clients.

Article 12 of the Immigration Lawyer Act imposes the duty of confidentiality on immigration lawyers. Also, our office follows our privacy policy to protect our client's privacy.


Our Fees


Price including tax
Application for Permission to Extend Status of Residence
1) if any change like job change
2) other

1) 157,500Yen(*)
2)   52,500Yen

* If the fee is more than 100,000Yen, you could pay it as a deposit of 100,000Yen with tax and the rest of fee separately.